SEO glossary is a handy thing to have at hand when doing some eLearning. It can help you to easily learn all the words you need to know.
Than knowing a few keywords will help you along the way. I know from experience that all those fancy new words can be intimidating at first.
But fear not! Here is your blogpost explaining 5 important SEO Glossary words for you to start with. Take it easy and read on!
This post was originally published on 15.04.20 and updated on 24.04.20.
SEO Glossary 101
- Meta Description: This is the text that shows up on the Google search results underneath the URL. If you don’t take care of this, Google will simply display the first words of the page or blog post. Important to realize, you can edit the Meta Description yourself. Handy Plugins like Yoast SEO will let you write a Meta Description right on the page you’re editing. This way you can make sure to optimize the displayed text to your advantage.
- ALT Text/Tag or Attribute: This is the description you can give an image. It is the only way to tell Google what an image is about. Google can’t identify images on its own. It uses the ALT Tag to do that. That means that you can use this to do some SEO optimisation. Write you’re most important keywords into the ALT Tag. However, don’t over do it. Keep the keywords in line with what the picture really is displaying.
The Fold, what sounds like a fun Halloween movie is actually SEO Glossary
- The Fold: This word refers to the part of a website that you can see immediately upon opening it. Everything that you can only see when you scroll to it is underneath the fold. Search engines give this space a certain importance. Quite literally because it is the first part of the website you see. Hence, place the most important things there. Don’t overdo it though. If you stuff this space you will get penalized by the search engines algorithm. SEO oftentimes is a fine balance at the end of the day.
- Headings: One of the most underrated SEO tricks in the box. However, headings tell Google and co. the basic structure of a page. The better a page is sorted out the easier it will be for Google for example to crawl it and therefore index it. Don’t be tempted to use headings as a style element in order to make things bigger. Use CSS for this. Only use headings for their real purposes. Also, make sure to keep the headings hierarchy. That means, only use heading 1 one time for the name of the page. Everything after this will use heading 2 and so on.
Being on page number one is everyone’s SEO dream
- SERP (Search Engine Ranking Page): This is nothing else than the fancy name for the page that your search engine of choice displays after you typed in your query. The first 3 places are most valuable and arguably hard to get to. However, just making it on the first page is a huge win in itself. Don’t worry if your SEO attempts don’t work immediately. SEO is a process and can take some time.
- Black Hat SEO: When you try to optimize a website with slightly shady methods. Anythings from keyword stuffing and cloaking to using private link farms. Black Hat SEO works against search engine guidelines. The focus is not on the website user or reader. It is not wise to try any of those methods. It will easily end in a penalty from the search engines.
- Keyword Stuffing: This practise means to use a keyword as many times as possible throughout a page. What is more, in this technique the keyword also gets used in as many ways as possible. Google gives a very good example.
We sell custom cigar humidors. Our custom cigar humidors are handmade. If you’re thinking of buying a custom cigar humidor, please contact our custom cigar humidor specialists at email@example.com.*source: Google
Don’t over use your keywords and always use them in context!
- Cloaking: When you create different content for the user than what you let the search engine see. You can do this by delivering the website according to the IP addresses. Also, you could use the User-Agent-HTTP header.
- Link Farms: This refers to a rather old technique. Multiple sites would link each other in a joint effort to rank higher on Google. The quality of the sites wasn’t in the focus. That lead Google to include actions in their Panda update in order to dissolve said Link Farms.
- Hummingbird, Panda and Penguin: Those are the names of a couple of Google updates. Google is constantly working on its algorithm. However, from time to time there is a major update. They get animal names at times like Panda or Penguin.
There are many things to consider when doing SEO. Here’s the deal: you have to start somewhere.
Take it easy and do one step after the other. Learn as much as you can and keep simply doing it. Perhaps this SEO Glossary overview can help you along the way.
Practise is the most important element of SEO, in my humble opinion!